Earlier this week Woodland Park Zoo released our first iPhone application that allows you to track your location on zoo grounds, discover more about the animals, and access daily activity schedules to make the most of your next zoo visit. This handy tool features:
- GPS-enabled zoo map with "Near Me" recommendations for animal exhibits, play areas, concession stands and restrooms
- daily schedule of zoo activities including zookeeper talks and children's programs
- educational animal fact sheets
- special discount offers redeemable at concession stands
- "Friend Finder" to locate other iPhone users in your party on zoo grounds
- zoo news and happenings
- easy access to Facebook and Twitter so you can share your zoo experience
Here it is in action:
The application, designed in collaboration with Austin-based developers Avai Mobile Solutions, is available now to download for $0.99. iPhone users can go to the iTunes App Store and search for "Woodland Park Zoo" to download or follow this link. Proceeds from each application sale go toward the zoo's animal care, education, conservation and operation costs.
Don't have an iPhone? A mobile version of the zoo's award-winning website is now available for any smartphone user when you point your browser to http://www.zoo.org/. (GPS features not available on the mobile site.)
We will roll out additional features over time, but we're pretty thrilled with this first version and we hope you will be too. Even if you have been to the zoo dozens of times, you'll still find new information in the app. And having an app handy that tells you where the nearest restroom is solves the biggest issue families have out on zoo grounds!
If you download it, let us know what you think.
Photo and video by Ryan Hawk.