Posted by: Rebecca Whitham, Communications
This week marks Woodland Park Zoo’s 111th birthday, and what a 111th year it has been! In 2010 we celebrated conservation successes, won a national best exhibit award, hatched endangered species and so much more.
Here’s my personal pick of the top 10 zoo stories of 2010, in no particular order. What were your favorite zoo experiences this year?
1. Endangered penguin chicks hatch in new exhibit
2. Snow leopard cologne sniff test helps conservation research in the wild
3. Rescued golden eagle finds new home at zoo
4. Meerkats return to the zoo after 10-year absence—and they’re meerkute!
5. Elephant Chai predicts winner of the Apple Cup
6. Zoo wins national Best Exhibit Award for sustainably-built Humboldt penguin exhibit
7. Teens raise and release endangered turtles into wild
8. Community celebrates endangered species with zoo’s Limited Edition art and Trophy Cupcakes
9. Zoo blog readers help raise money to fight fires in endangered crane habitat
10. SnOMG hits Seattle, zoo animals explore the snow
Videos produced by Ryan Hawk/Woodland Park Zoo.
Photos (from top): Snow leopard cam photos, courtesy of Snow Leopard Trust; Golden eagle by Ric Brewer/Woodland Park Zoo; Penguin by Jennifer Svane; Turtles by Ryan Hawk and Rachel Gray/Woodland Park Zoo; Limited Edition artwork (clockwise from top left): Troy Gua, Natalie Oswald, Fumi Watanabe, Don Clark, Fiona McGuigan, Jesse LeDoux; Oriental white stork by Andre Ogleznev; Zoo in snow by Ryan Hawk and Dennis Dow/Woodland Park Zoo.